Mobile point-of-sale may have continued to capture the majority of POS headlines from July, but the NCR/Radiant merger proved to biggest story of the month, with analysts predicting that it will help to catapult NCR into the restaurant and entertainment businesses by capitalizing on Radiant’s growing SaaS and subscription offerings. And as with last month, POS security continued to gain attention with a number of quick service operators tapping Managed Video as a Service and biometrics to help curb theft. These stories and more are related here in Hospitality Technology’s July point-of-sale recap.
- Is the NCR/Radiant Deal a Win-Win?: The ink isn't yet dry on the NCR and Radiant deal, and the industry is already talking about how the merger will affect both companies' standing in the marketplace. Here's how each company is expected to benefit from the acquisition, plus the bottom line for hospitality end-users.
- POS with Video Cuts Theft, Saves Thousands: Point-of-sale integrated video surveillance system helps the 100-unit Carl's Jr. and Hardee's franchisee, By the Rockies, to reduce loss, improve operations, and drive profit.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Reduces POS Downtime: With the help of a computer management system, Buffalo Wild Wings franchisee RAMB Co. has been able to reduce its system downtime to almost zero, and experience a marked ability to improve customer satisfaction and manage costs.
- Casino MonteLago Selects Agilysys POS: The newly opened property in Lake Las Vegas decided to implement the InfoGenesus POS based on the system's openness, accessible user interface and real-time reporting features.
- Restaurant Brands Adds Enterprise Mgmt Tool to 98 KFC Stores: Within a few months of installing multiple Micros products, including POS, forecasting, labor and more, Restaurant Brands New Zealand Limited is experiencing more efficient service and improved outlet forecasting.
- Miku Restaurant: Mobile POS to Develop Guest-Driven Environment: The Vancouver-based restaurant selected Squirrel POS software running on Apple iPads in an effort to streamline service.
- Rossopomodoro Adds Pay-at-Table to 110 Italian Locations: A partnership with VeriFone enables Rossopomodoro staff to accept payment at the table, with check amounts automatically generated from the restaurant chain's existing POS system.
- Pizza Hut Franchisee Slices Payroll Fraud with Biometrics: By deploying fingerprint readers, the 118-unit Pizza Hut franchisee Rage, Inc. has been able to improve accountability for more than 1,800 employees.
- McDonald's Guests Find Faster Way to Buy BigMacs: McDonald's customers can now pay for meals with a PayPass-enabled MasterCard credit card or mobile phone at more than 1,400 Canadian locations.
- Value of Mobile Payments Market to Skyrocket by 2015: A new study by Juniper Research expects the mobile payment market to almost triple in value by 2015, reaching $670 billion.
- ISISPOS Supports iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: POS system allows servers to take orders and process payments directly in front of their customers, rather than visiting a busy, fixed workstation.
- Wavelink, iPad Enclosures Partner to Secure Tablet-Based Kiosks: The partnership enables users to perform updates, secure information on the device, track their location, and monitor their performance remotely.
- Merchant Warehouse, ID Tech Create "Out-of-Scope" Payment Solution: Merchantware product now supports ID Tech's SecureKey M130 and SecureMag products, as well as Triple Data Encryption Standard and Advanced Encryption Standard methods.
- pcAmerica's Restaurant Pro Express Goes Mobile: The new tableside ordering and payment solution works in conjunction with traditional pcAmerica POS terminals and synchronizes guest checks and menus in real-time.
- Hypercom Wins Canadian POS Distribution Deal: Collective Point of Sale Solutions will deploy a minimum of 2,000 Optimum T4220 POS terminals with the SPOS32 magnetic stripe and EMV software application to its Canadian merchants.
- NCR Acquires Radiant Systems: Radiant Systems' software and SaaS capabilities will enhance NCR's solutions, creating a portfolio of multichannel point-of-service and self-service solutions.
- First Data Announces 11 Innovations in Q2 2011: First Data has added a number of enhancements to its information and analytics, prepaid and payment acceptance offerings including: bulk activation and a new e-commerce payment gateway processor.